Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
I normally don’t pull a bait-and-switch on my podcast guests. But this week I did.
I was scheduled to interview Jacob Morgan about his new book The Future Leader: 9 Skills and Mindsets to Succeed in the Next Decade. But Jacob is a futurist, and specifically an expert on the future of work — he wrote a bestselling book by that exact title back in 2014 and is the founder of FutureofWorkUniversity.com.
So when I found myself interviewing him on March 31, right in the middle of the Coronavirus outbreak when 80% of the U.S. was on mandatory stay-at-home and work-from-home orders, I knew I needed to pivot. Who better to talk to about how all this is affecting the way we work and how we can prepare for the challenge?
I started by asking Jacob for his take on what he sees as the biggest changes right now to the way people need to work (2:50). Then we moved on to his advice on how to do adapt to those changes. Below is a brief outline of the territory we covered.
Click play above and see how your job and preparation stack up. . .
How to cope with these changes: (11:00)
1. Accept the chaos (12:00)
– This is just temporary, mostly!
– Some things will never go back to the way they were (6:35)
2. Make time for self-care (12:35)
– Eat healthy and workout
– Don’t watch news all day
– Don’t constantly fret about your bank account
– Stay connected with friends
3. Invest in learning new skills (14:20)
– Like how to run virtual meetings
4. Revisit career goals – maybe it’s time for a change (16:00)
5. For entrepreneurs, find new revenue streams – re-strategize (17:25)
– Practice human skills, like empathy for those affected most
– Recommit to what you want your business to stand for (19:10)
– i.e., No layoffs at Visa
– Virtual dates (22:00)
7. Is this the future you envisioned? (23:00)
Jacob can be found at FutureofWorkUniversity.com and TheFutureOrganization.com
Click these links to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher, or Podbean.
Paul Smith is one of the world’s leading experts on business storytelling. He’s a keynote speaker, storytelling coach, and bestselling author.
Connect with him via email here. Follow him on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Sign up for his newsletter here to get one new story a week delivered to your inbox.