This week I had a chance to talk to Rich Berens, the CEO and Chief Client Fanatic of Root Inc. (seriously, the best job title I’ve ever heard), and a noted speaker on the issues of strategy and change.
Rich has a new book out called What Are Your Blind Spots? Conquering the 5 Misconceptions that Hold Leaders Back. It’s based on his 25 years’ experience working with 800 companies around the globe, where he and his partners noticed these same blind spots popping up over and over.
For the record, here are the 5 misconceptions:
- Purpose matters, but it doesn’t drive our numbers
- We have a compelling story to tell that our people care about
- Rational and logical presentations engage the hearts and minds of people
- People will not do the right thing unless you tell them what to do and hold them accountable to do it
- My people feel safe telling me what they really think and feel
We had time to talk about one of them, and I chose #5. Click play above and listen to Rich explain that blind spot: how to identify it and how to fix it.
Visit Rich at Rootinc.com and take a free assessment to identify your leadership blind spots.
Paul Smith is one of the world’s leading experts on business storytelling. He’s a keynote speaker, storytelling coach, and bestselling author of the books Lead with a Story, Parenting with a Story, and Sell with a Story.
Connect with him via email here.
Sign up for his newsletter here to get one new story a week delivered to your inbox.